I’m really excited to share 3 amazing, healthy and balanced breakfast recipes this week from Dietetics Major Erica Vigliano (otherwise known as @betterwithbalance_).
Like Erica, I believe that breakfast is a super important part of any day. Erica explains that It starts your body off with the right fuel it needs and restores your glucose levels, in order to assist brain function. It also sparks our metabolism and can help to prevent cravings that crop up later on in the day.
After gaining some clinical experience, Erica hopes to one day open up her own private practice, to help educate others on nutrition and support clients to incorporate healthy habits into their lifestyle. When she’s not studying, she loves to run, cycle, hang out with her friends and volunteer at the local food bank which I think is so lovely and inspiring.
As Erica is from Delaware in the US, we’ve provided the below recipes in both cups and grams/ml. There are also plenty of swap suggestions in the recipes, so you can choose ingredients that work for you and your dietary needs/choices.
We hope you enjoy the recipes!!
FRIED EGG // CHOPPED AVOCADO BAGEL COMBO
– 1 large bagel (or gluten free bagel)
– 1 tablespoon of butter
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 avocado
– 15g / 1/2 cup baby spinach
– 75g / 1/2 cup butternut squash noodles (could use courgette or carrot noodles)
– 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil
1. Preheat a pan to low-medium heat
2. Toast your bagel to your preference and add the butter to the base
3. Place your avocado in an electronic chopper or mince with a knife until very small, fine cuts
4. Spray the pan with nonstick spray or use oil and add the eggs
5. Cook the eggs until sides are no longer liquid and flip
6. When the sides look firm, remove eggs from heat and add one egg to each half of bagel
7. Add the tablespoon of oil to the pan and place the squash noodles and baby spinach to sauté
8. Move around with a spatula for about 3-5 minutes or until it looks cooked enough
9. Add the spinach and noodles to the bagel along with your chopped avocado
10. Enjoy 🙂
PEANUT BUTTER & BERRY VEGAN FRENCH TOAST
– 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
– 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or coconut syrup
– 250ml / 1 cup milk (diary or plant based)
– 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 4-6 slices of bread (depends on the size)
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or vegan butter
– 4 tablespoons of peanut butter
– 72g / 1/2 cup of blueberries
– 36g / 1/4 cup of raspberries
1. Preheat griddle to medium heat and grease with vegan butter or coconut oil
2. Mix all ingredients except for the bread in a large shallow bowl
3. Place in freezer for 3-5 minutes to activate
4. Once activated, dip each slice of bread in the batter for 20-30 seconds on each side
5. Place on griddle and cook until golden brown on both sides (3-4 minutes)
6. Top each slice with 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut butter and berries!
7. Enjoy 🙂
CHOCOLATE BERRY PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS
(gluten and dairy free – for 1)
– 45g / 1/2 cup of old fashion/jumbo oats (can use gluten free)
– 125ml / 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
– 1 scoop chocolate whey protein (or plant based protein)
– 1/2 sliced banana
– 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
– 1/3 cup gluten free granola of choice (this uses 18Rabbits vanilla chia and cherry granola)
– 1 tablespoon of goji berries
– 1/4 cup of raspberries
– 1/8 cup of chocolate chips (or vegan chocolate chips)
1. Mix well together the oats, unsweetened coconut milk, and chocolate whey protein and place in bowl or mason jar
2. Add the sliced banana and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
3. Add the granola and raspberries next
4. Last, add the goji berries, chocolate chips, and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
5. Place in the refrigerator overnight
6. Enjoy in the morning 🙂
We hope you love the recipes!
Don’t forget to check our Erica over on instagram.